The Charmouth History Trail is a guided walk round our historic village – a 24 page booklet with 8 black and white photos and 3 colour plates.
The History Trail is currently available at The Stores and at most village outlets. If you are interested in purchasing it by post please contact us.
The History Trail will introduce you to the history of the village, the buildings and the people who lived here or passed through. Largely based on research by local historians it aims to inform and, hopefully, to entertain. Amongst other things it includes:
• where Catherine of Aragon and King Charles II stayed the night
• when Florence Nightingale visited the doctors surgery
• the Abbot’s House, a Monk’s Rest and a Monks’ Wall
• explanations of voussoirs, gablets, canted bays and oriel windows
• some scary stories of the supernatural and the Devil’s Bellows
• our own Prince Charles
• how misbehaving in Charmouth could get you deported
• a collection of fine hats and a few heavy guns
• a stuffed shark, squirrels and pineapples
To view the history trail slide show designed to accompany the walk click here. To move on to the next slide click/tap the arrow at the very right hand edge of the image about half way up; to move back click/tap the arrow at the left edge.